E-Mail and Messages Overview
You can communicate with students and parents from your teacher portal in two ways: via message or email. A portal email is a full-fledged email and is delivered to a student's or parent's personal email inbox and their portal inbox. Messages are a means of communicating in the portals only, and students can only retrieve these messages in their student portal. As a result, email could be used as the primary method of communication, but messages are preferred when your students might not have email addresses.
The following features are available for email only:
Sending an email or message starts with clicking E-Mail & Messages on the main navigation bar. The E-Mail & Messages page is organized into two tab screens, one for emails and another for messages. The following diagram explains the page's main functionality.
|E-Mail & Messages Diagram (See Figure Above)|
|A||Switch between emails and messages.|
|B||Access your email inbox, email drafts, and sent emails.|
|C||View archived email for previous school years.|
|D||Select which emails to show and search emails by subject or sender.|
|E||See details of an email by clicking the view icon .|
|F||Reply to an email or delete it.|
|G||Browse email and select how many emails to display per page.|
To view more than 10 email messages per page, click one of the options from the E-Mails per page list, located at the bottom of the email list. If you have several emails, use the navigation arrows at the bottom to browse the email list.
Send an Email
- Click the E-Mail tab, and then click New E-Mail.
In the New E-Mail screen, do one of the following:
Enter the email address of the recipient(s) in the To box.
Click Add Recipients, click a recipient group, select the recipient(s), click Next, and click OK. If selecting students, remember to select the Student and/or Parents option at the bottom of the Select Recipients dialog box before clicking Next.
Recipients who do not have a valid email address will not be able to receive the email. After selecting recipients and clicking Next, the portal displays any recipients who do not have a valid email address.
- Fill out the subject and message. Use the text editor to format the email and to add links and images.
- Optional: Attach a file by clicking Select files.
Do one of the following:
- If you're ready to send the email, click Send. You can find all of your sent emails in the Sent Items folder.
- If you want to save the email as a draft, click Save, and then click Back to E-Mail to return to the E-Mail tab. Your draft can be found in the Drafts folder on the E-Mail tab.
Set an Email Signature
You can set a custom email signature to personalize your outgoing mail. Once set, your signature will be in the text editor whenever you begin to draft a new email.
To create an email signature, do either of the following:
- While composing an email, on the New E-Mail page, click E-Mail Signature, enter and format your signature, and then click Save.
From any page, click the drop-down menu next to your user name, click Settings, enter and format your email signature, and then click OK
Send a Message
- On the E-Mail & Messages page, click the Messages tab, and then click New Message.
- Fill out the subject and message.
Do any of the following:
- Select the Students check box if sending a message to students.
- Select the Parents check box if sending the message to parents, and then click All Parents or Only to Primary Parent from the drop-down list.
In Select Recipients by, do one of the following:
Click Sections, select the check box for each section you want to send the message to.
The message will be sent to the students in the section(s) (and their parents if you selected so in the previous step).
- Click Student, and select the check box for each student the message is to be sent to.
- Click Send.